Job Opening for a Software Engineer/Algorithm Developer – NASA Harvest
We are seeking a skilled Software Engineer/Algorithm Developer to join our team, focusing on remote sensing applications for agricultural monitoring and food security. In this role, you will contribute to the development and optimization of algorithms, leveraging remote sensing technologies to address critical challenges in the field of agriculture and food Security monitoring.
NASA Harvest/University of Strasbourg is seeking an exceptional software engineer/algorithm developer with a strong interest in agriculture to join our diverse team working on remote sensing applications for agricultural monitoring and food security. This position is part of a joint project with the One-CGIAR Excellence in Agronomy for Sustainable Intensification and Climate Change initiative, focusing on scaling remote sensing-based models for yield estimation across sub-Saharan Africa. NASA Harvest is NASA’s Global Food Security and Agriculture program, dedicated to advancing earth observations applications for food security and stable agricultural markets, in collaboration with various partners from academia, government, private, NGO, and humanitarian sectors.
About the Position:
The successful candidate will contribute to scaling up methodologies developed at NASA Harvest for crop yield forecasting, bridging the gap between field-level data and national-scale applications. This project will utilize state-of-the-art remote sensing technologies to inform crucial agricultural and food security decisions by diverse public and private stakeholders in sub-Saharan countries. The candidate will build a software system consisting of multiple integrated components and work closely with a diverse team.
This position will be based at the University of Strasbourg, France, with potential international travel to collaborate with our global team. Working remotely is not possible for this position and the successful candidate will need to be based in Strasbourg.
• Master’s degree or higher in computer science, engineering, physics, mathematics, image processing, remote sensing, agricultural or environmental sciences, or related fields
• Strong programming background, particularly in Python
• Demonstrated software engineering experience
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively within teams
• Desire to learn and grow in a dynamic research environment
• Experience in cloud computing and building/implementing work plans
• Proficiency in spoken and written English
Preferred (Advantageous) Skills:
• Interest in agriculture and food security research and applications
• Knowledge of satellite-based remote sensing and image processing
• Proficiency in data processing tools and applications such as Google Earth Engine or Planetary Computer
• Experience with crop models (e.g., APSIM)
• Experience in C# (secondary programming language)
• Cloud data access experience
For best consideration, apply by August 25th, 2023. However, the position will remain open until filled. To apply, please submit your application, CV, and motivation letter via email to Yuval Sadeh at email@example.com.
Join our team and contribute to the advancement of remote sensing applications for agricultural monitoring and food security. We look forward to reviewing your application and welcoming you to our diverse and collaborative environment. (NASA Harvest program website: www.nasaharvest.org).