What is Commercial Use?
Commercial use is use of the APSIM Software for commercial gain.
If the use of APSIM or the APSIM Outputs are for the public good and made publicly available, then the activity is not considered commercial.
A simple flowchart can be used to decide whether you need a commercial licence:
- Examples of Commercial Use include the following:
- APSIM is run as part of a service or product, such as a web interface that calls APSIM, in a commercial environment resulting in a commercial return.
- A product that utilises a database that has been derived from APSIM outputs. If the use of this product does result in an economic return, then the use would be classified as Commercial.
- If APSIM code is incorporated into a product or used in the development of a new product and if the product is utilised commercially, then this use would be considered a commercial use of APSIM.
- If there is direct economic benefit to the APSIM Modeller or a third party beyond the life of the project, then this work would be considered commercial use of APSIM. This includes internal (eg using APSIM to guide a decision within an enterprise) or external (eg an enterprise using APSIM to provide advice to a third party) use.
- Examples of Non-Commercial Use include the following:
- APSIM is run as part of a service or product, such as a web interface that calls APSIM, that is publicly availably not resulting in a commercial return.
- A product that utilises a database that has been derived from APSIM outputs. If the database is publicly available and the use of this product does not result in an economic return, then the use would be classified as Non-Commercial.
- If APSIM code is incorporated into a product or used in the development of a new product and if the product is made freely available, then this use would be considered a non-commercial use of APSIM.
- Who requires an APSIM Licence?Anyone who downloads and runs APSIM
The APSIM Commercial Licence allows the following:
- Usage and development of APSIM Software
- To develop a project or process that incorporates or is derived from the APSIM Software
- A service that uses the APSIM Software
An APSIM R&D licence allows the following:
- Use and develop APSIM Software
- Use of APSIM Outputs for R&D purposes and dissemination
- If you are paid to run APSIM, does that mean you need a commercial licence?Not necessarily. Some examples that do not require a Commercial License include research grants; providing a consultancy report and/or data which is made publicly available; developing a tool that runs APSIM which is made freely and publicly available.
The questions that need answering are:
- what is the (commercial) intention for use of the APSIM outputs by the APSIM Modeller or by a third party?
- is the IP made publicly available?
If the answer to the above questions are for Research/Knowledge gain and dissemination AND the IP is made publicly available, then an APSIM Commercial Licence is not required.
Please note that as an APSIM modeller, if the use by an external third party will be using the APSIM Outputs for uses other than for knowledge gain and dissemination, then the APSIM Modeller will require an APSIM Commercial licence to be able to undertake the work.
- What constitutes Research/Knowledge gain and dissemination?
- IP made publicly available
- No direct economic benefit for APSIM Modeller and End User beyond the life of the project
- No Intention to Commercialise
Please remember that all licenses of APSIM (both commercial and non-commercial) stipulate that improvements to APSIM will be owned by the APSIM Initiative and are required to be returned to the AI.
Models unavailable for Commercial Use
Unfortunately the APSIM Initiative is unable to provide Rice (ORYZA) for commercial purposes.
Pricing of a Commercial Licence
The APSIM Initiative allows commercial use of APSIM for an annual fee. For further information of fees, please refer to this page.
How to register and download APSIM:
Once you have registered and agreed to the terms and conditions, instructions for downloading the software will be sent to the email address you provided. Please note that downloading of the APSIM Software indicates the Licensee’s acceptance of these terms and conditions and agreement to pay the annual licence fee. The full terms and conditions can be downloaded here.
To register and download APSIM, please go to this page – APSIM Initiative Product Registration and choose the Commercial Licence Type.
Any questions or for more information, please email email@example.com